Marrakech desert tours are available since the early times of tourism in Morocco. The sense of liberty of experiencing the mighty Sahara Desert attracts travelers from all over the world.
Sahara Desert tours from Marrakech are available in different packages taking into account the duration and location. Morocco desert tours are usually available in three destinations: Zagora desert, Mhamid desert (Erg Chigaga dunes), and Merzouga desert (Erg Chebbi dunes).
If you’re searching for the best desert trip from Marrakech, you came to the right place. We will try to explain to you what options are available in the market and what type of places you will visit on the way. Many of the best places to visit in Morocco are included on our desert trips.
Desert tour highlights
Desert trip from Marrakech
Can I visit the Moroccan desert in one day?
No, due to the far distance, you can’t do Sahara Desert tours on regular day trips from Marrakech. You need a minimum of one night / two days to arrive in the Sahara. We have a 2-day Zagora desert tour available for those who don’t have much time during their holidays in Morocco.
Marrakech – Zagora desert = 381 km one way
Please be advised that the Agafay desert near Marrakech is not the Sahara Desert, and it does not have sand dunes. It is only a vast empty rocky desert.
Can I visit the desert with big dunes on a two-day desert trip?
No, please remember that the 2-day Marrakech Sahara tour takes you to “the small Sahara Desert,” being the only option if you only have two days available. Although beautiful, Tinfou dunes are just one miniature dune with smaller others surrounding it.
How many days do I need to visit the big dunes?
If you want to see “the big Sahara Desert,” you can choose our 3-day Merzouga desert tour, 4-day Merzouga desert tour, or the 5-day Merzouga desert tour. Erg Chebbi dunes spread over 50km and go up to 250 meters high.
Marrakech – Mhamid desert = 451 km one way
Marrakech – Merzouga desert = 560 km one way
Can I go to the desert from Marrakech to Fes?
Yes, Marrakech to Fes or Fes to Marrakech, it’s perfectly doable, and we have a few options available for the Marrakech to Fes desert tour and the Fes to Marrakech desert tour. Check out the 3-day Marrakech to Fes desert tour, and the 4-day Marrakech to Fes desert tour. We also have excursions in the opposite direction on a 3-day Fes to Marrakech desert tour and a 4-day Fes to Marrakech desert tour.
- Pass through the Atlas Mountains up to the Tizi n’Tichka mountain pass at 2,260m.
- Visit the ancient kasbah Telouet, a magnificent mud palace in the middle of the remote mountain area.
- Visit Ksar Ait Benhaddou, a fortified mud-brick village listed as a UNESCO Morocco site.
- Visit the famous Atlas Studios and the 17th-century Kasbah Taourirt in Ouarzazate.
- Go up the incredible Tissadrine road that’s on the list of most beautiful drivable roads in the world.
- Walk inside the breathtaking Todra Gorge canyon.
- Visit Rissani’s eclectic market, the mausoleum of Moulay Ali Cherif, and the historical fortified village of Ksar Oulad Abdelhalim.
- Experience a camel ride in Erg Chebbi Dunes.
- Overnight in a Merzouga desert camp with a tent, shower, dinner, and listening to some local traditional music.
Click on the tour to open with detailed information